The Next Chapter

There are things that I need to do and things I need to finish in order to move forward into the next chapter of my life. I’ve been working hard at this.

One of the most important things that I need to do is proving to be extremely difficult. I need to finish the book that I started several years ago.

Most people would assume (after hearing I’m writing a book) that the idea came to me after losing my husband. I actually felt led to write a book two years prior. I wrote, off and on, up until I got to the point of writing about our accident.

You see, my husband and I went through a lot of trials throughout our marriage; many of which could have ended it. But, we never gave up in each other. That, to me, is a story worth telling; a testimony.

What sort of testimony did I have now?

Here I am, almost 6 years later.

My story isn’t at all what I thought it would be originally. But, I definitely have a story to tell. It’s just a different one.

I have struggled in trying to understand why I haven’t been able to finish, but I think I know now. Finishing the book might just mean the literal finishing of the chapters of the life I once knew. I know in my heart that this could be a very important part of my allowing myself to move forward. As much as I want and need that, the truth is that I’m scared. I want to let go of the the pain, but there is a part of me that holds on out of fear of letting go of him.

I actually wrote on the subject of letting go awhile back. It couldn’t be more relevant than it is now. You can read that post here: Letting Go

I’m going to do this.

I need to do this.

Wish me luck, my blog family.

xoxo Joni

1. roijoyeux says:

All the best, you really need to move forward that doesn’t mean you will let go of him

Yes, Joni letting go of the pain we suffer from does not ever mean we let go of our lost loved one. They will be forever with us inside our hearts. I think writing a book about what you two had; and the way things worked out; and what your life has been like for the six years; would be a wonderful real life story to write. There are some great Christian Publishers that would work with you on such a project Joni. These are my thoughts for you my friend and fellow blogger. God bless you and your kids in this new journey. I am here just send me a message Joni. You are not alone not here for sure.

3. My dear Joni,

Yes, I think it will help you to open a new page of your life. It does not mean that you close your inner book with regard to your beloved husband – it is still the same book in which you write with the ink of your life and experiences made. In doing so you go through the past again, you analyse it with the intention to be also of help to many other couples facing troubles in their marriages – this is a good motive indeed and furthermore, you can finish one part of your life and look forward to the next.

I wish you great success for it.

From heart to heart

4. rita says:

Wise decision and I hope you find peace within you.

5. I wish you all the best! I’m sure you will finish your book and it will be a great story!

6. Best wishes always! 💖

7. Best Wishes! I know that you will finish it at just the right time!

Good luck 😁

9. Wish you all the luck in the world x

10. Get that book finished!! and out there for us to read. I know what you mean about trials in marriage I still look back and ask myself how we made it to ten years. Best of luck with finishing and closing this chapter.

11. Thinking of you. Proud of who you are and who you’re becoming. We never leave behind those we love.

Sorry for your loss and hope each and every day is filled with love and happiness… you are a intelligent dedicated capable young lady and able to determine your own destiny, don’t believe you will need luck!… 🙂 do not fear, one day the pain will become a pleasant memory, your husband will always be with you, trust me on this one… 🙂

Do not stand at my grave and weep
    I am not there, I do not sleep
    I am a thousand winds that blow
    I am the diamonds glints in the snow
    I am the sunlight on ripened grain
    I am the gentle autumn rain
    When you awaking in the morning hush
    I am the swift uplifting rush of quiet birds in circled flight
    I am the soft star that shines at night
    Do not stand by my grave and cry
    I am not there, I did not die
    (Mary Elizabeth Frye)

13. Good luck, my friend. Based on what you wrote in your post, it seems you have strong spiritual energy behind your will to move on. For what it’s worth, I also wrote a book about a chapter in my life (growing older) and felt that book needed to be out in the world (called, “Over the Hill on the Yellow Brick Road,” which emerged from my blog). I’m still in the middle of my journey, but putting the book in the world somehow put a kind of emotional stamp on my experience. I understand your feelings.

14. Paola says:

Yes, please, write the book, it’s yours but it’s also yours (you and you husband). If you notice that writing doesn’t help you, you can stop, but what you lived together is something real, something that happened, is something of you. It worth writing 🙂

15. Best wishes on finishing your book.

I too wrote a book about a decade ago, revised it several years back to bring it up to date, and it still sits there unread anyone but a select few.

Finishing chapters in our lives is important. I don’t think your husband would want you to make his loss the focus of your life. Even though my wife and I have one of the best marriages I can imagine, I wouldn’t want her to stall out with her life if I were to not be there for some reason. And if she was taken away, I can’t see any value in holding on to the past. I’d have to move on, no matter how painful that would be, and it would probably be severe.

Your decision to write the next chapter is healthy. I encourage you to move into it. As for me and my book, your simple post above has helped me to know what I should do with it.

Hey Joni: As you go forward in your life, it by no measure means you are forgetting your husband, and the many memories you built during the years you had together.
    Actually, this is GodyTestimony in the lives of two people you will be writing. You have the opportunity to share God’s faithfulness, during good times and through the difficulties and challenges that each life, and each couple have.
    You will reach, encourage, and bless many who will relate to early struggles, as well as perhaps a select few who feel they are so deep in the pit, nothing or no one can help or make a difference, until they read of our God and His wonders to perform.
    Holy Spirit has prepared you for this time of writing, as well as Him guiding you through each stage of the book, and the timing.
    And the most interesting and exciting—-Holy Spirit already knows who will read your book, and He is preparing each person’s heart, mind and spirit for a specific day in the future when the book will be available for them.

God’s Blessings as you move forward Joni. Keep listening for the Whisper of Holy Spirit as He inspires you. When all is complete, readers will be blessed and helped, you will be blessed and filled with Joy due to your obedience to God’s nudge, and hearing responses. Most of all, God will receive Glory through His Testimony of working in the lives of you and your husband, as you grew closer to Jesus Christ, and closer together.

God Bless.

17. In writing, keep in mind your gift in helping others in their grief. -Jeff

18. Best wishes, take the step forward! Be blessed!

19. yggdrasil says:

All the best of luck, Joni, on this journey.

20. Hope you finish your book and ‘am looking forward to reading it!!

21. Sonali Chawla says:

Wish you very good luck for the next delightful journey of your life ! I’ll be waiting for your upcoming Affable and Thoughtful book. And in the last of the book don’t forget to share your experience while taking a trip down to the memory lane. Happy Journey ! ☺

22. Mia says:

You’ve got this! You’ve got the Lord on your side, (and your blogging friends) so you’ve got plenty of support. Congrats on the book, by the way, I’m sure it’ll be a wonderful read.

23. Kathy says:

Girl first let me say I’m
    So proud of you. I know for sure now we are twinkies in so many ways. I too have been writing for years and have had the same desire to write a book since Dennis passing. The feelings you have described are so real and YES there are days I feel plagued by moving on. That sounds so heartless right. Where is Happy in the subliminal
    Space of emptiness . I have notebooks and notebooks full
    Of writings and like yourself much goes back much further than his death. I encourage you to get that pen and paper out. Begin tonwrite your little heart out. Put me down for the first copy. Love you much.

24. All the luck !! I’m happy you will finish your book but I agree with others it doesn’t mean letting go of him just being able to move forward with your kids and I believe he would want this for you . Hugs my friend you are strong remember that💕

25. evans443 says:

Joni, I am so glad to have come across you blog. After reading this entry, I was touched by your willingness to share and how their were so many beautiful comments of those who responded. I wish you a wonderful future and look forward to reading more from you. Sometimes when we write and share our journey we touch the lives of many without even knowing it. Let me thank you again for sharing.

26. inhiscare753 says:

There is no doubt, that you will finish the book. Many will be blessed, encouraged, and healed through journey of your testimonies.
    So, proud of you keep moving forward.
    Yonnie
    InHisCare

27. All the best. You will, you can!